A dense hedge is the best protection of privacy for the property. However, your hedge needs a regular cut for this.If the hedge is going to get tight, it should be trimmed regularly at cutting times.
The hedge: for some it is the green ribbon along their own property, for others it may be an indispensable protection from unwanted glances. Well, however, hedging is a top priority. After all, the garden hedge should grow beautifully green and dense and keep its shape.
How and when you best cut your hedge, we want to inform you here on this page.
Conservation and topiary
The hedge cut fulfills two essential aspects. On the one hand, dried and dead shoots should be removed and the new shoots should be promoted quickly. On the other hand, the hedge should definitely bring out its aesthetic shape. Both the maintenance and the topiary are made at different times.Maintenance cut in spring
There is no risk of disturbing overwintering animals or breeding birds. Nevertheless, inspect the shrubbery for animals before cutting.
- Cut your hedge in early spring, thus promoting a quick and dense sprouting of your leafy enclosure.
- At this point, the temperatures should be well above freezing.
- Cut your hedges on days that are more covered by the weather. Avoid blazing sunshine.
In the past few weeks after the maintenance cut, the new shoots have developed vigorously and spread. At the end of June / beginning of July, the hedge largely stops growing. The shoots have developed at different rates since the spring pruning, which has visibly brought the hedge out of shape. Now the topiary should straighten it.
The perfect hedge is cut trapezoidal. That means: its base is kept wider while it is tapered towards the top. So the sunlight also reaches the lower parts of the hedge.
- The topiary is indispensable. It has a long-lasting effect on the silhouette.
- This cut should have been made by the end of August at the latest, otherwise the new shoots will not mature until the first frost.
- If you still have this date, wait until the end of October / beginning of November. Now the hedge is at rest in vegetation. If it is not yet freezing, then you can take care of the topiary.
Hedges of early flowering shrubs
The number of hedges of early flowering shrubs is not insignificant. They are pruned only when their bloom is over. The flowering shrubs already planted their buds last year. Nevertheless, if you cut these hedges in early spring, deprive yourself of the abundance of flowers because you will fall victim to the buds that were just about to open.
For example, which flowering rear shrubs are included?
- Scented jasmine and others
Conclusion: For a tight privacy screen, you have to cut your hedge at least twice a year. So the shoots of the hedge are strengthened from the inside. Cut your hedge trapezoidal in summer so that it can get sunlight down to the lower parts of the plant. Flowering hedge bushes have a special position. The spring pruning takes place after flowering.